Caution! Do not expand the piston rings any more than is necessary to allow them to be removed from the piston. The rings are brittle and will break if expanded too much.
- The top and second compression rings are different and are not interchangeable (see Piston - assembly).
- Piston rings must be removed from the piston using hand pressure only. Do not overextend the piston rings during removal.
- If the piston rings are to be reused, note the orientation of the oil control rings prior to removal.
- If the piston rings are to be re-used, keep them with their respective piston to ensure they are refitted in their original locations.
1. Ease the top compression ring out of its groove and remove it from the top of the piston.
2. Remove the second compression ring in the same way.
3. Remove the oil control rings and expanders.